Gigs...

Thursday 20 October 2011

Nothing Inbetween (Oct 2011; London)

This is one of those songs I don't really ever think about, they just sort of ripen in the background, occasionally when I'm messing around I'll sing what I've got of them, and slowly they become full songs. "I'd like a songwriter who writes songs like a pumpkin vine makes pumpkins" - to totally misquote Calvino. Because no real effort gets put into them, I tend to undervalue them a bit, there are quite a few of them I've never even played live or recorded, but I'm starting to think that's a little wrong of me.
Anyway, Ed's in Scotland at the moment, writing books and tending moors, so I went to his house and nicked his ebow, I've put up two versions of the song, one is kind of an early ebow experiment (I'm sort of considering buying one, but they're way expensive), and one is a pretty standard version... so see what you think, I guess.

EBOW


NO EBOW


I see an animal
he's in your backyard
sometimes he fights with other animals
'cause life's so hard
he needs to eat, he needs to sleep, he's got to fuck, he needs somewhere to lay his head
he's just an animal,
he's alive or he is dead.
But nothing in between.

I heard you had an accident
I heard you fell out
now something's changed within your bones
these days you don't get out the house
you never talk you are a stranger unto me
you are a stranger to the world
you refuse to choose a life below the life you lived
this is what I've heard
We're nothing in between.

Thanks for this,
the sweet and dour(!)
your crippled legs
should mark the hours
should hang from a bell
and kick like hell at the sides
and tell us when it's time to wake up
tell us when it's time to go to work again
to church again
and hear about how no one really...

we're nothing in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment